2005-11-09

Use Your Rockstar Know-How

Oh my God... I obtained last season's episodes of the Teen Titans from Zack and I've been watching them over the last few days or so. The theme song is performed by J-Pop "sensation" Puffy Ami Yumi, who are old hat here in Japan but apparently in America, they are quite popular with the young'uns. They even have their own cartoon on The Cartoon Network. It's called the Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi Show: the happiest and funnest rock band cartoon invasion this side of the Pacific. Apparently someone wants to introduce J-Pop into America and this is the way they are going about it.

As an aside... for you non-Canadians who read my blog (all 2 of you), we don't get the Cartoon Network in Quebec unless you have satellite or digital cable or something of the sort (we get Teletoon which is lamer than lame... unless of course it's changed in the last 15 months but I doubt it... Ah Canadian protectionism. Gotta love it.)

Anyway, I was checking out the clips that they have on the CN website and I almost died laughing. Puffy Ami Yumi are cute little non-anime characters (oddly resembling the Powerpuff Girls actually) that sing in Japanese and English but when they start to talk, their voices sound oddly American...
I wonder what people in Japan would have to say about that...
And I thought the Japanese were gifted for making cartoons about nothing. Apparently, America isn't far behind. T-E-E-N-T-I-T-A-N-S, Teen Titans, LET'S GO! Yes, I know. I'm a geek. At least I don't watch Star Trek... anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home