2005-10-21

Bring on the NABE!!!

There are 2 good things about Japanese winters (besides the fact that I don't have to deal with -40C and 2m of snow): 1) the kotatsu and 2) NABE!!!
A kotatsu is a small table, quite low to the ground, that has a heating element attached to the bottom. It is a wonderful thing!



Nabe, in Japanese, literally means pot. Basically, what you do, you set a camping stove on the kotatsu, you put a large clay pot on the stove and you cook everything in the pot, with everyone sitting around the kotatsu, feet nice and cozy underneath the blanket. You cut up vegetables, meat, fish, whatever tickles your fancy, bring the nabe sauce to a boil and start popping in the food. Then, once you've gorged yourself on meat and vegetables, and the broth has acheived ultimate flavour, you put in noodles to finish off. It's fun and it's delicious.


Yesterday, I spent the day correcting papers (which I have yet to finish... stupid midterms... remind me next time to make them easier to correct...) I had planned to go to the gym to relieve some of the stress of sitting at my desk correcting 600 test papers (plus 100 speeches) but I get a message from E&C asking me if I wanted to go over for nabe... answer... DUH! Oh nabe, how I love you so... When I go home, nabe is one tradition that I will be starting... Just like Sunday Morning Breakfast at my house, Nabe Night will be a welcome addition, I'm sure of it. Just have to be very careful not to do it to often... ever wondered what the secret to a sumo wrestler's size is? NABE (^_^)v

2 Comments:

At 16:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my tummy cries out for nabe.... I gave mine to the Takatori couple :(

 
At 22:55, Blogger Samantha said...

Yes you did indeed... and I thank you for it ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home