2005-10-12

Risks

I used to write poetry all the time when I was younger but a certain event 7 years ago emptied me of any inspiration I'd ever possessed. But I'm feeling inspired today. Not enough to write my own stuff so I'll put one of my favorites up. However, I can't find the original author's name. When we studied this in high school, I remember it being anonymous so we'll just stay with that.
I do miss writing my own stuff though... Maybe I should sit down and force my inspiration to come back (^_^)

TO RISK

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool;
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental and soft;

To reach out for another is to risk involvement;
To expose feelings is to risk exposing our true self;
To place your ideas, your dreams before the crowd is to risk loss;
To love is to risk not being loved in return;
To live is to risk dying;
To hope is to risk despair;

But risk we must because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing and is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love -- LIVE.
Chained by his certitudes, he is a slave; he has forfeited freedom.
Only a person who risks is free...


And that is that... Words to live by, ne? Not everything can fit into the nice little package that you have in your head. Life is not a fairy tale. You can't just sit around in your pretty little princess tower and wait for Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet. You have to get out there and live and love and sometimes even lose... You've gotta gamble if you ever want to win. Because if it works, then it will always be worth it in the end. And you'll never know if it'll work if you don't even try. Giving up before even starting is a cop out... self-preservation my a**...
Head or Heart? Love or Logic? Sometimes the logical course of action isn't always the right one, Cap'n... no matter what Mr. Spock says...



1 Comments:

At 23:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have something for you to wrap your risk around right here. Quick, reach under the table and take a big risk. Whoa, that was really worth it. Here's a towel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home