2005-09-28

I have proof!

Yesterday afternoon was Sports Day rehearsal at Oji. I had already been scolded that morning for leaving early so I figured that I should show my goodwill towards the school by watching and pretending to be interested.
Sports Day rehearsal is basically just the students practicing their marching skills. Whereas at Kashiba the students march together in a clump; at Oji, it's kind of like a mini Olympic parade. The students march around the field grouped by class and then after they come together in a clump in the middle and then march forward. It's a little complicated to explain in words but whatever.
Last year when I saw this for the first time, I was quite freaked out. 1000 students lined up marching to a band... they looked like an army. One of my friends had told me that at his school they even did THE salute... Yes, you know what salute I'm talking about: arm extended in front, palm down... Think Germany circa 1940... Well, I was shocked when he told me this but he teaches junior high in BFE Japan, so I thought he was in a unique situation. Yesterday I found out how wrong I was....
The band starts to play. Five students walk out carrying the Japanese flag followed by five more students carrying the Oji flag. After the flag bearers, class 3MA (M is for Mechanics) comes out and walks past the stage. Someone blows a whistle and OUT COME THE ARMS! For about 10 seconds, 35 boys are marching with their arms extended and my mouth is on the ground. And class after class, everyone does this salute... I guess it's not just up in BFE Japan... And yes I got proof. The second time they rehearsed the march, I took pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home