2006-06-28

Rockin' the White Rock Island

So Monday I mentioned that I was away this past weekend. Tagged along on a superb trip organized by the fellow who shares my name. Shiraishi is a small island of the coast of Okayama prefecture, in the Seto Inland Sea. Population of 700, Shiraishi is an island getaway, conveniently located close to big cities. Despite it's appeal, this lovely little island is virtually unknown to other Japanese people. I was telling people at work that I was going to an island in the Inland Sea and everyone asked: "Miyajima?" which is the island in Hiroshima prefecture with the famous floating torii.


Shots from my trip to Hiroshima last year with my brother. I'm posting them now just so that no one gets confused. That is the floating torii, the main gate to Itsukushima-jinja.

ANYHOO... Shiraishi is nowhere near that famous, which suits me just fine. Of the 700 permanent residents of Shiraishi, there just happens to be two foreigners: Amy and Paul. Amy is an American who came to Japan as an English teacher about 13 years ago and never looked back. She is now running "THE" local bar on Shiraishi: The "MOO" bar. It's actually more of a little beach shack than a bar but they serve alcohol so it's all the same really. Amy is also a prolific writer for the Japan Times and to top it all off she's written a guidebook to Japan. And if that wasn't enough for you, she's also a really great person. The island is actually not a secret to everyone. It is a member of the International Villa Group which allows foreigners to experience rural Japan for a pretty cheap price. The International Villa on Shiraishi is located on a hill with a great view of the water. 10 people can stay at a time. Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to stay at the Villa... (T_T) but much fun was had there nonetheless.
Myself and my four outcast companions were staying in a cheap minshuku called San-Chan's, conveniently located right on the beach.

So my fellow adventurers and I (we were a total of 15) made our way to the island on Friday morning. I left my house at 6:30AM and I arrived on Shiraishi at 10:30AM. Not bad considering that Shimokitayama-mura resident Patrick left his house in the mountains at 2AM. The weather wasn't great on Friday when we left but by the time we got there, the torrential rains had stopped and we were left with a cloudy day. I went exploring in a kayak for 5 hours. Landed on tiny island that I've baptized "Rat Rock Hawk Island", because there were rats rocks and hawks... fancy that. They were BIG rats by the way. Kayaking was quite an experience. I was in a double with G and seeing as I had no idea what I was doing, he ended up doing most of the rowing. Poor guy. I think I almost killed him. However, everything starting working better when I figured out how to use the back rudder.
In the evening we had a lovely BBQ at the MOO Bar on the beach. Too much tequila is bad for the brain. MOOgaritas were the drink of choice that night and it had many people paying in the morning.
The next day, despite the weather reports saying the opposite, we had a GORGEOUS day of sun. I went fishing for the first time in my life and even caught a fish. Four of them in fact, including the first catch of the day! (Granted, it was poisonous and thus unedible, but that doesn't matter, right? First catch is first catch) I spent about 90 minutes fishing in the afternoon sun before giving up due to the sun and the rocking boat. My shoulders hate me now even though I put 50SPF sunscreen on before heading out.
The evening was yet another night at the MOO Bar, watching the sunset over the blueish yellow haze from the industrial town across the way. Good times were had by all, with people staying away from the MOOgaritas this time around.

And that's the end. We had a huge pancake breakfast up at the Villa (my first pancake breakfast since I left Montreal) and then escaped the bad weather. We were supposed to do some hiking on Sunday but that was cancelled due to the torrential rains that returned just in time for our departure. Here are a few pics from Shiraishi.

The Mastermind behind the weekend getaway

The famous (or infamous) Amy Chavez... whose delicious double MOOgaritas caused many a hangover (NOT ME!)

The shy daughters of the minshuku's owner... I really like this picture.

Shiraishi's shrine island. From this angle it kinda looks like a turtle, ne?

James and Heather doing James and Heather-y things

Same background, different caracters.... Heather is still doing math. I love this shot too

Mountain-man Patrick serenading us with a 10-minute song about Laura.

Carlos and James engaged in deep conversation... probably not about soccer.

Another sunset picture. I love beautiful sunsets. They are always the perfect end to a perfect day.

1 Comments:

At 22:56, Blogger BadAssVixen said...

Gorgeous pictures!! I love them! that place looks really cool. Id love to go there sometime. that might have to be an early autumn trip... :) Same with Miyajima...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home