2006-06-04

AWOL

OK. I lied. I said in my last post that I would post pictures of my Golden Week trip later that week... and it is now a month later and I'm still not posting pictures of my GW. Sorry but I still don't have all of them yet...
This last month has been crazy busy... elementary school visits, lessons and exams at Kashiba, my new placement at the Education Research Institute, preparing training seminars for aforementioned Research Institute, seeing all of Japan in 2 months, booking tickets home,
trying to figure out how to get all my useless stuff home, figuring out how to say goodbye to my life for the past 2 years, saying goodbye to students, teachers and friends...

And to top things off... I just had 5 friends from Montreal invade my tiny little apartment for a week. It was super crowded but FANTASTIC (except in the mornings... I think everyone wanted to kill each other in the morning). Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend too much time with them because I was working but I took last Tuesday off to take them to Kyoto and I'm taking Friday off because I'm going to join them in Tokyo on Friday. As a thank you for letting them squat at my place, they are buying me a ticket on the Shinkansen so that I can spend the day with them... AT THE STUDIO GHIBLI MUSEUM!!! For those of you who are wondering: "WTF?", the Ghibli Museum is a museum devoted entirely to Studio Ghibli movies (Miyazaki's animation--he made Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke). I've wanted to go for a long time but it's super hard for residents to get in because you need to reserve in writing and weekends (which is the only time I would be able to go) are always booked... What sucks is that I only have one day there because I have to be back on Saturday morning for the 4th and final elementary school training seminar I'm giving.

My time in Japan is drawing very quickly to a close. I can't believe that I'll be back in Montreal in less than 2 months. My ticket is booked. I'm coming home July 28th--19:05... and I still don't know how to feel about it. For the most part, I'm trying to enjoy every day and set aside the at times overwhelming feelings of sadness... So for now, I will post a few pics of my friends because that will make me happy.


Inside the gardens at Heian Jingu

Their first Japanese karaoke experience

At the giant torii in Kyoto

Throwing Kathleen overboard

Inside to covered bridge in the gardens (stole this one from Kathleen)

I'll try and post again soon.

1 Comments:

At 01:07, Blogger BadAssVixen said...

Yay!!! You finally updated! Cool pics! Im glad you had fun with them. We were all wondering how you were handling such a large group in such a small apt. Adam and I are so sad you guys are leaving us in less than 2 months! Were also really worried about the newbies... hope there are some cool people, but they can never replace you guys. *sniff sniff*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home