2006-03-09

Wedding on Sunday

Good lord. This wedding will be the death of me. Uesugi sensei, my friend and cooking teacher, is getting married on Sunday. She asked me to make a speech. I was honoured... and panicked. What do I say? I've never been to a Japanese wedding (heck the last Western wedding I was at, I was 8 years old)... what is the etiquette? The only thing I know is that generally you pay 30,000-50,000 yen just to attend... and that isn't exactly a happy thought.

Anyway, Thank God for the Moritanis. My constant source of information for Japanese tradition. I wrote my speech in English and then asked Kimiyo if she could translate. She did and I will be eternally greatful. However, now I have to read it. Easy? Guess again... I practiced it on Tuesday with Miwako but I sounded like a 5 year old reading Shakespeare. Yesterday I spent 2 hours practicing and I can only read about half of it. I had planned on learning it by heart but forget that. Not going to happen. If I can read it without holding the paper in front of my face, I'll be a happy woman. I can now sympathise with my students (sort of) because learning something by heart in a foreign language that makes no sense isn't easy... Granted I could probably learn 5 sentences if I was given 3 weeks to learn them... so on second thought, maybe I don't sympathise so much...

The other issue that has been plaguing me: WHAT DO I WEAR?!?!?! The Moritanis suggested I wear a kimono but I have no idea how to put one on... so that may be a problem... probably. So that leaves me with the dress option. I have 2 nice dresses that I brought with me but they are a little big for me now (usually a good thing but not good now). I could go out and buy another but then I have to go and buy another... besides... nothing in Japan will fit me because I... um... have curves... So I am stuck. Very very stuck. But I will worry about that later. For now, I will take advantage of the empty teacher's room to practice my speech out loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home