2005-08-30

Japan: a different dimension?

Hurricane Katrina left behind chaos and destruction. As you well know, one of the strongest hurricanes in American history has claimed the lives of many and caused billions of US$ in damage... But, here I am in Japan, and there are some people (yes, even Americans) who had no idea what was going back in North America...
It really makes you wonder, doesn't it? When there are big earthquakes in Japan, it's reported back home... right? I mean, I had no idea there was a GIANT earthquake in Niigata until my father called me and told me. I checked the news as the hurricane was hitting... not a word on Katrina.
And it's not just in the news that I feel disconnected... I mean, what songs are popular back home? I mean, Karaoke isn't really on the up and up with the most recent American songs... although granted when we only sing Duran Duran and Journey, that probably doesn't help my cause... However, I can tell you everything my students are listening to and even sing along to some of the stuff.
And on TV... What took over when Friends, Buffy and Angel ended? Has the Practice been cancelled yet? How many Law and Orders are there now? 20? And that's just the tip of the iceberg...
Can anyone help me out? Comments are encouraged ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home