2005-07-06

Elementary Schools Rock!



I was asked a little while back to teach English at an elementary school in Yamato Koryama City, just North of where I live. Since it's exam time in Kashiba High School, I have NOTHING to do except sit at my desk and watch the clock. The wonderful people at the Nara Prefectural BOE (Board of Ed) did me a huge favour by sending me to this elementary school. I am there for three days this week and from now on, once a month and 4 days during the High School exams.
Now I have worked with elementary school kids back home in Canada so I was not worried about the teaching part. After all, kids are kids, no matter where you go, right? Wrong! Well, sort of. Anyone ever wondered what it's like to be a celebrity? Well teach elementary school in Japan for a day and you will know exactly what it's like. Everywhere I go in the school I hear, "Samansa-sensei this" and "Samansa-sensei that" with the pitter patter of dozens of little feet coming up behind you. Of course, the only things that these kids can say to me in English is "Hello", "Goodbye" and "See You Again" but that doesn't matter. It is so much fun!
At KHS, I am there all day every day and I have 8 classes a week (although I have begged and pleaded for more, they never give in). At Showa Elementary School, I am there in the morning (from 8:15-:1:30) and I have taught 5 classes both mornings and then 6 on Friday when I go back. That is 16 classes in 3 half-days. Then I eat lunch with the kids (yes, the school even feeds me!) and then I play outside with them at recess. I love being busy! It's a welcome change. I love Kashiba and my students there but teenagers are difficult (thank you Captain Obvious). It's so refreshing to have undying genkiness surrounding you. I wonder if they'll let me do it permanently...

1 Comments:

At 09:37, Blogger James Heneghan said...

stumbled upon your blog by chance...
it made me laugh. wait till you've been teaching shougakko for two years and then you'll have changed your tune! you'll be tearing your hair out. what starts off as fun soon turns into a nightmare, believe me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home